ENG 170w – Annotated Bibliography

Michelle Chan

November 23, 2011

Professor Ferguson

Introduction to Literary Studies

Annotated Bibliography

Works Cited

Houston, Jeanne. “After the Quake: Stories by Haruki Murakami; Jay Rubin.” Manoa 15.1 (2003): 187-88. JSTOR. Web. 23 Nov. 2011. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/4230205>.

This article only has a little bit on “Honey Pie” by Murakami, but it is crucial in shedding light on what the story of the bears that Junpei tells to Sala have to do with the larger story of Junpei’s world. Houston writes that Junpei uses the story as an outlet and “releases his pent-up yearnings by creating a bedtime story for the child that reveals his frustrations and failings.” It is the first instance that I get an idea of how the two stories are related to one another on a more symbolic or metaphorical level. Essentially, Junpei is telling a bedtime story about bears to a child to help her sleep, but deeper analysis will show that the story of the bears is actually a metaphor for Junpei’s relationship with his two friends—one of which he is in love with. If I follow this line of thought I might be able to find a strong connection between the two stories.

Lofgren, Erik. “After the Quake: Stories by Haruki Murakami; Jay Rubin.” World Literature Today 77.1 (2003): 99. JSTOR. Web. 23 Nov. 2011. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/40157833>.

This last article is a review on the anthology that “Honey Pie” is found in. The book includes other stories that deal with how people in Japan cope and lived after the devastating 1995 Kobe Earthquake. It describes the thread that connects all the short stories found in the anthology, which is the theme of the earthquake as “a metonym for the uncertainty, trauma, and despair that characterize an atomized existence.” And the wounds that come from the earthquake are “emotional wounds, bound together by the isolating tendencies of modern life. The path to healing beings with a willingness for introspection and sympathetic shoulder or ear.” With this knowledge, I can analyze Junpei’s character development and change to see what kind of emotional wounds he suffered from the earthquake (feeling more deeply the loss of his own family, which leads to a stronger sense of isolation) and how he begins to address those wounds.

Welch, Patricia. “Haruki Murakami’s Storytelling World.” World Literature Today 79.1 (2005):55-59. JSTOR. Web. 23 Nov. 2011. <http://www.jstor.org/stable/40158783>.

This source maps out the reoccurring similarities and themes in all of Haruki Murakami’s protagonists that is the loneliness and perhaps, self-imposed loneliness, that the main characters experience and how they try to rouse themselves from that sense of detachment. I feel that this article would be useful to my research because Junpei is very similar to the other characters described in the article. Much like Murakami’s other male protagonists, Junpei feels disconnected with those around him and is acutely aware of this. Like Murakami’s other characters, Junpei also struggles to be understood and to try and help others understand him, This article would allow me to understand Murakami’s writing style and character developments at a stronger level and apply that to my analysis of “Honey Pie.”